How do I know if I have anaemia?
The Better2Know anaemia test can identify whether you have fewer red blood cells than normal or that individual red blood cells have a lower-than-normal level of haemoglobin. Anaemia is a condition that affects red blood cells, disrupting normal levels of haemoglobin, a protein that transports oxygen around your body.
What are the signs and symptoms of anaemia?
A healthy blood profile is important for overall health and wellness. Common symptoms of anaemia include:
- Feeling faint
- Pale skin
Have you experienced any of the common symptoms for anaemia? Are you concerned that you may be anaemic? The Better2Know anaemia test can identify quickly and easily if you have anaemia.
How does this test work?
Our anaemia test requires a nurse to collect your blood sample. At one of our clinics of your choice, a blood sample will be taken and run for analysis at our fully accredited laboratory.
What tests will you run on my sample?
The anaemia test will assess the following:
- Iron. This test measures your iron levels. Iron is an essential nutrient which is required to assist in the production of red blood cells and carrying oxygen around the body.
- Ferritin. This test measures the amount of iron stored in the body and can be used to diagnose anaemia or iron overload.
- Folic acid test. This test measures the amount of folic acid (vitamin B9) in the blood, which is essential for the production of healthy red blood cells.
- Vitamin B12. Essential for red blood cell formation.
- Full blood count (FBC) with a 5-part differential. This test checks the levels of all your different blood cells to identify any abnormalities.
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR). This measures the rate at which blood cells settle in a tube. Faster rates can indicate inflammatory problems.
How will I receive my test results?
We pride ourselves on our quick turnaround time - your anaemia test results will be ready within two working days after your sample has arrived at our certified laboratory. Simply log in to our secure patient area on our website to access your results. As soon as your results are ready to view, our Patient Services team will contact you.
What happens if I need further help after my anaemia test results?
Once you receive your results and if they show any abnormal levels, we will advise you to contact a doctor. This could be your own GP or we can arrange a private consultation with our network of highly skilled doctors based around Ireland. At the consultation, you will be talked through the results and a change in diet may be recommended or medication could be prescribed.
How can I book my test?
You can book your anaemia test by contacting our Better2Know advisors on the number above. A member of the team will be happy to process your booking for you or answer any questions you may have.
At Better2Know, we are proud of the welcoming and knowledgeable team available 24/7 for your convenience. We provide a range of health tests and screens throughout Ireland.