What is the main test for liver function?
Our Better2Know liver function test allows you to assess the overall health of your liver by measuring a variety of proteins. Did you know that your liver is the largest internal organ? Your liver is a powerhouse, performing over 500 functions, including breaking down and processing food, fighting infections, and removing drugs and toxins.
Why consider a liver function test?
If you have any concerns over the health of your liver, our liver function test will be able to assess this. If you have any problems associated with your liver, the signs and symptoms could include the following:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
- Abdominal pain or swelling
- Loss of appetite
- Chronic fatigue
- Itchy skin
- Dark coloured urine or stools
- Swelling of the ankles or legs
If you have experienced any of the symptoms listed above, regularly consume significant amounts of alcohol, or are concerned to know the health of your liver, then you should book the Better2Know liver function test.
How does the liver function test work?
The Better2Know liver function test requires a small blood sample, which can be taken from your arm at a clinic of your choice. Once we have taken a small sample of your blood, we will send your blood sample to our accredited laboratory that will analyse your sample, providing you with results within one day of your sample arriving at our laboraotry.
What tests will be run on my sample?
The liver function test is very comprehensive and tests for the following:
- Bilirubin. Measures the amount of bilirubin in your blood to help find the cause of health conditions like jaundice, anaemia, and liver disease
- Total protein. Measures the total amount of protein present in the blood (albumin and globulin)
- Alanine aminotransferase. This test checks for liver damage to find out if a disease, drug, or injury has damaged your liver
- Aspartate aminotransferase (AST). This test measures the amount of AST in your blood. AST is an enzyme that is released into the bloodstream when your liver is damaged
- Gamma-TG. An early predictive marker for atherosclerosis, heart failure, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and various liver diseases including Hepatitis, other infectious diseases, and several life-threatening cancers
- Alkaline Phosphatase (ALT). This test can help to identify bone or liver disorders. If other liver tests such as ALT and bilirubin are also raised, this is usually indicative of liver issues
What happens if I need further help after my liver function test results?
Your liver function test results will be available within one working day of your sample's arrival at our laboratory. Once available, you will be able to access your results from a secure patient area on our website, we will provide you with log in details once your test is booked. Our dedicated Patient Services team will be in touch when all your results are ready to view.
If your results reveal an abnormality, you can contact your GP or Better2Know can arrange a private consultation with one of our many Ireland-based skilled doctors who will be able to talk you through your results in more detail. The private consultation will also provide you with guidance and advice on treatment options that may be available to you.
How can I book my test?
To book your Liver Function test today, contact Better2Know using the phone number above. We pride ourselves on being able to answer any questions you may have; our trained advisors are at hand and are happy to answer these questions and help you process your booking.
Better2Know provides a wide range of health tests and screens throughout Ireland. Our welcoming and knowledgeable Patient Services team are on hand 24/7 for your convenience.