Why consider a well woman screen?
If you are female and are simply looking for a comprehensive overview of your general health and wellbeing, the well woman screen is for you. The screen can provide useful insights into many important health markers which can be monitored over time.
How does this screen work?
The well woman screen requires a simple blood sample to be taken, which can be performed at a clinic of your choice. Once the blood sample is taken, we will send your sample directly to our certified laboratory that will analyse the screen quickly and efficiently.
What tests will you run on my sample?
The well women screen is a comprehensive female health test and screens for the following:
- Kidney profile. Sodium, potassium, urea, and creatinine
- Liver profile. Transaminases (alanine and asparagine), gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT), alkaline phosphatase, aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), bilirubin and albumin
- Bone profile. Protein, albumin, calcium, phosphorus, and alkaline phosphatase
- Vitamin D. To determine your vitamin D levels
- Cardiac profile. Transaminases (alanine and asparagine), creatine kinase, lactate dehydrogenase and potassium
- Lipid profile. Cholesterol, triglyceride, high-density lipoprotein (HDL cholesterol), low-density lipoprotein (LDL cholesterol)
- Glucose. Measures your blood sugar levels
- Thyroid profile. To check whether you have the correct level of thyroid hormones for a healthy metabolism
- Ferritin. This test measures the amount of iron stored in the body and can be used to diagnose anaemia or iron overload
- Chloride. Essential for digestion. Helps to balance electrolytes, as well as acidity and alkalinity, which helps to maintain a healthy pH
- Uric acid. High levels may indicate gout
- Full blood count (FBC) with a 5-part differential. This test checks the levels of all your different blood cells identifying any abnormalities
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR). The ESR measures the rate at which blood cells settle in a tube. Faster rates can indicate inflammatory problems
How will I receive my test results?
The well woman screen results will be available to view on the secure patient area of our Better2Know website. The results will be ready to view within one working day after your sample has arrived at our accredited laboratory, and a member of our Patient Services team will contact you as soon as all your results are ready.
What happens if I need further help after my well women screen results?
If the results show any abnormal levels, you should see a doctor - this could be your own GP or at Better2Know, we can arrange a private consultation with a doctor across Ireland using our network. The consultation will allow your results to be explained and medication or further testing may be recommended.
Book your well women screen now
To book your well woman screen now, simply call us on the number listed above. Our Better2Know advisors will be able to book your test and are here to answer any questions you may have.
We provide a wide range of health tests and screens throughout Ireland. At Better2Know, our Patient Services team are available 24/7 for your convenience.